Join our lent course: People of the way
Our Lent program for 2019 is Lent Course developed in the Diocese in 2011 called People of the Way. St Francis followed the Course in 2012 and we are doing it again nine years later.
Why People of the Way?
In Mark’s gospel, Jesus is on his way to Jerusalem from the moment of his baptism.
Mark uses the idea of ‘journey’ to anchor the story of Jesus in a sense of movement, of travel, of purpose. Throughout the Gospel Jesus calls people to join him, to follow him, to travel with him on the way: the way to Jerusalem, the way to the cross. Mark uses the word “way” or “road” to mean not simply the physical road Jesus and his disciples walked, but to signify the very purpose for which Jesus came into the world and to signify the path of discipleship for those who would follow Jesus. “The Way” (ό όδος) is a crucial concept in Mark’s Gospel. It is nothing less than the journey of discipleship, the road Jesus calls us to travel with him.
The idea that to be a disciple of Jesus meant that one was on the way was significant enough that in some places the earliest Christians called themselves “People of the Way.”
- Key Departure Points for the Course
- A recognition, affirmation and celebration of the fact that we are already a community of disciples who are following Jesus – We are People of the Way
- Jesus’ vision of his own ministry inspires our vision and practice of discipleship
- We are all called to follow Jesus and Jesus’ call is a costly one
- The course is based on a DVD series which small groups will watch in the week prior to the Sunday on which we address the theme
- The whole Parish will follow the same themes: Sunday Services, small groups, Mother’s Union, Youth, and Children’s Church
|Sunday before Lent||March 3||We are People of the Way|
|Ash Wednesday||March 6||The Way of Penitence|
|Lent 1||March 10||Jesus’ Vision of the Way|
|Lent 2||March 17||The Call to the Way|
|Lent 3||March 24||A Spirituality of the Way|
|Lent 4||March 31||The Way is a Life of Service|
|Lent 5||April 7||The Way is for the World|
|Palm Sunday||April 14||The Way leads to Jerusalem|