The St Francis Eco group has identified that using eco-friendly cleaning products is very beneficial to maintaining a sustainable, healthy environment. Karen van den Heever, a member of the group has done research into eco-friendly cleaning products and provided the information for this article. Thank you Karen.
We encourage our parishioners to study this article and review their current cleaning product usage, with a view to changing to more eco-friendly and hopefully cheaper products (particularly if larger size products are purchased).
We have listed the retail stores and suppliers, and their product brands where appropriate.
1 PnP – Green
When it comes to being eco-friendly, PnP is as concerned as you are. That’s why we’ve introduced our range of PnP Green cleaning products. The range is biodegradable and non-toxic to all members of your family, as well as pets, plants and aquatic life, making it the smart choice when it comes to preserving our planet.
What makes our products green?
- Biodegradable after use
- Contains no Sodium Lauryl Sulphate; Ammonia or Chlorine
- Contains no Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)
- Not toxic to humans, animals, plants, septic tanks or aquatic life
- Packaging is recyclable
The PnP Green range is biodegradable and is naturally integrated into the environment. Non-biodegradable products can take up to 850 years to biodegrade in nature, resulting in pollution of lakes and rivers, and contributing to ever-expanding landfills. The PnP products are fully biodegradable. Look for them by name.
2 Checkers – Simple Truth brand
A range of affordable cleaning products which are eco-friendly, cruelty free and made with biodegradable materials
3 SPAR – Enchantrix brand (Can be found at most stores)
- are strictly formulated according to eco-cert France’s standards, but not officially certified
- are not tested on animals, and with the exception of beeswax used in the Baby’s Bum Balm, do not contain any animal ingredients
- are endorsed by Beauty without Cruelty and classified as Vegan, except for the Baby’s Bum, which contains beeswax (for confirmation of BWC endorsement and Vegan classification, contact the chairperson, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, Tel/Fax: (021) 671 4583)
- are made locally, using locally produced, organic ingredients as far as possible
- contain no harmful chemicals such as sodium lauryl / laureth sulphate, parabens or petrochemicals
- 100% biodegradable
- are packaged in either glass, HDPE or PET, which are all recyclable
- have a 12 – 18 month shelf life. In general, the creams have a 12 month shelf life and the remaining products carry an 18 month shelf life. However, correct storage of products will in most cases extend the shelf life beyond the expiration date
- all products are pH balanced. Contact Debbie for detailed information on pH of specific products at: firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Dischem – Eco- Home brand
A wide range of products is offered. Visit www.dischem.co.za/eco-home
5 Better Earth brand
Better Earth provides cleaning products that are gentle on the environment (and your hands) but also high quality cleaning agents. All of our products are as effective as other cleaning products but provide peace of mind to the eco-conscious user. There is so much to worry about in this world; at least what the chemicals in your household cleaners are doing to the earth is no longer one of them.
The following stores in the area supply this brand:
Craighall Spar Address: 110 Lancaster Avenue, Craighall
Fresh Earth Food Store Address: 103 Komatie St, Emmarentia
Killarney Riveira Pharmacy Address: Shop 75, Killarney Mall, 60 Riveira Rd, Killarney
Rosebank Healthshop Address: Shop G 7B, The Zone, Rosebank
Thrupps Retail CC Address: Illovo Centre, Rudd Road, Illovo
Nutribalance Sandton Address: Shop L57, 4th level, Sandton City
6 Golden Products – Home Care
Our Golden Home Care products have been “GREEN” since the 1960’s ‐ long before it became the fashion. Our 100% biodegradable formulas are 100% earth-friendly. Low-dose, low-burden cleaning technology maximizes performance with a minimum amount of product. No toxic fumes, no harsh chemicals!
See their website for online shopping
Online Shopping sites:
Going Green? – learn more!
http://www.greenminded.co.za “We aim to assist you to become greenminded in every aspect of your life, from work and play to sports and family activities”.
http://www.simplygreen.co.za/ South Africa’s leading green eco business and lifestyle digimag, bringing you the latest information in all sectors
http://thegreentimes.co.za/ Has useful articles on green living
Mark Franklin Chair of Eco group